Cardiovascular disease is the one of the major causes of death globally and an estimated 17.5 million people died in India from CVDs in 2012, according to a report by World Health Organisation.
Of these, a lot of people die before they reach the hospital.
In most of these cases it has been observed, that ignorance, combined with a lack of presence of mind, has delayed timely treatment.
With crowdfunding in India motivating you to be more observant and aware of your body, we believe you will be able to avoid the majority of health conditions. However, to avoid a catastrophic event, like a cardiac arrest, is not always feasible.
Today we will tell you the primary measures you can take when a family member or friend has a cardiac arrest. Hopefully, with our guidelines and with crowdfunding in India, you will not only be more knowledgeable but also more resourceful.
A person suffers from cardiac arrest when the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the heart is interrupted — by a clot, stress or blockage of the arteries.
It is important to identify a cardiac arrest and to understand what your valuable role can be in the first 60 minutes- before the patient reaches a good hospital.
How To Identify A Heart Attack:
Most people mistake a heart attack for gastric pain and delay treatment.
Rule of thumb: Never ignore any sort of pain in the chest area.
Heart attack is generally characterised by severe pain in the chest area that radiates to the arms, jaws and throat.
The patient may also experience vomiting, sweating and giddiness.
If all the above signs are positive, do not delay action. Remember, time is crucial in the prognosis of a heart attack.
The First Three To Six Hours Are Crucial For Treatment. And The First Hour Is The Golden Hour.
The primary measures to undertake when someone is having a cardiac arrest:
- Recognise the pain. Do not delay action.
- Make the person sit or lie down in a position most comfortable.
- Immediately make arrangements to reach a nearby hospital as soon as possible. Thanks to crowdfunding in India, you can now admit your loved ones to the best medical faculties in town.
- You may contact an ambulance and wait, but if there is an opportunity to take the patient to the hospital directly, by car or auto (rickshaw), do that.
- You do not have to call a general practitioner as in the case of a cardiac arrest he will anyway advice you to take the patient to a good hospital.
- Do not take the patient to a clinic or dispensary.
Ensure that the hospital you’re taking the patient to has an ECG machine.
Remember, the intensity of the pain cannot be diagnosed without the help of an ECG machine.
- If you are alone at home and waiting for medical help, give a 325 mg Aspirin to the patient.
Most homes usually have this medicine. This will give relief from pain.
- You may check the pulse of the patient and if the patient’s blood pressure is normal, you may give Sorbitrate 5 mg capsule and ask him/her to keep it under the tongue.
- This will dilate the blood vessels and help blood flow faster than usual. If the blood pressure is abnormal, avoid this step.
- If the patient is unable to breathe on her/his own, you may give him CPR or mouth to mouth breathing.
- Alternately, you can use your fist to thump the chest of the patient, right in the middle. This technique helps relieve any sudden compression in the chest area.
Regardless of what first aid you give, try to reach the hospital within the first hour of diagnosing the chest pain. Do not panic because all you need to do is take a deep breath and follow these measures if such a situation unfortunately ever arises.